Monday, June 20, 2011

NEXT ISLAND - Part 2 - Mainland Experience

Last week MindStar9 posted NEXT ISLAND - Part 1 - The Newbie Experience
Yesterday she posted NEXT ISLAND - Part 2 - Mainland Experience

Here is a re-post of the second part of her review, please post any comments and feedback at her original post linked above.
(her pictures are higher quality than shown here, click on them or view her original post to see higher res.)
(video(s) will be added to the end when she posts it)


MindStar9 Explores Next Island Mainland
(Part 2 in a 4-Part Series)

1-BridgeGraphicHdr.jpg

As the morning sun started edging out the evening moon, it was time once again for me to continue my exploration of Next Island. The day before, I spent my time getting acclimated with the newbie experience, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had fun with the Papoos, who seemed to be just as surprised as some of the locals to see me on the planet. However, my motivation and inspiration for exploring Next Island is quite simple - to honor David Post's vision for the planet, and in support of his efforts moving forward.

* * * * * * * * *

My day began with an exit from the newbie zone, but not without a brief visit to Caroline's, which is fashioned after Caroline's Comedy Club in New York in the US. It looked like just another ordinary tropical building with a big sign on the top from the outside, but when I passed through the doors, I found a delightful environment that was rather inviting, and reminded me of places I visited both in New York and Chicago, as well as Hawaii when I lived there.

2-Carolines.jpg

The interior gave the feel of a cozy environment where people could gather and share their Next Island experiences. The stage was reminiscent of open-mike nights for reading prose and poetry to subtle background music, as well as perhaps those who might want to try their hand at karaoke. Then again, it was the perfect venue for those who fancy themselves comedians and inspired to tickle our funny bones.

3-Carolines.jpg

4-Carolines.jpg

5-Carolines.jpg

The one thing I noticed that I would change, which is not top priority of course, would be to have the front doors open up somehow. Walking through the doors it's rather dark on the other side because there's a wall there, rather than it being open to the internal environment. First time I walked through the doors and discovered this, I didn't think the club was open, because I didn't see that I had to maneuver my avatar to the right in order to walk a short distance and find the open area. A day later when I decided to try again, I actually accidentally discovered the little corridor I needed to walk to the open area, so I'm glad I was able to have the Caroline's experience.

A SOUTHWEST ADVENTURE

At first I decided to wing it, and headed along the southern coast toward the west. I found the terrain quite colorful and nicely textured. The whole area had a nice southwest feel to it with the red, orange and amber clay colors that fit nicely into a southwestern theme. Perhaps there's more than just a tropical flavor to Next Island, but whatever the case, the scenery was magnificent, and I caught myself literally mesmerized by it, but ...

I wasn't alone ... nope, and while I wasn't too surprised that I ultimately ended up with company, I was surprised by the sort of welcome I received. I had no idea that Next Island had it's own musical talent. I was greeted by none other than the Boar Street Boyz who had something special prepared for my visit.

6-BoarStreetBoyz.jpg


Needless to say, I was onto them, and any amount of sweet talk and what they felt I'm sure was musical brilliance, didn't persuade me in the least to let them continue roaming the range. You guessed it, I had to set the record straight, and let them know I couldn't be bewitched and bewildered by their belching - Home, Home on the Range might have come across more authentic, but out came the Delta, and it was all over but the tears - no applause, no standing ovation, no testimony to their bad boarness - just pure boredom.

As I've learned in the past from my interaction with mobs, they tend not to forget my preciseness in getting them out of my face. Call it paranoia, but I swear, they have a secret brotherhood across all species that band together and strategically plan their attacks on me, or at least interact with me in ways that are meant to confuse.

While the Papoos continue to harass me in various locations, the Boar had something more specific in mind. Oh yes, they gathered the troops together when they discovered that I was about to test a boat trip on the river in their territory that seemed to go on forever.

I love boat trips, and I had no idea this particular trip was going to not only be quite lengthy (as I had anticipated), and a challenge to navigate because of the curves and obstacles, but also that the dumb-ass Boars decided to line the banks of the river in wait to have their revenge. So what happened? You'll have to wait for the video that I'll be sharing in the reserved posting area of this thread. The only thing I'll say - is that the water and scenery were amazing.

THE EXPLORING CONTINUES

After wandering around the southwest portion of the mainland for a bit, I decided to check at the Next Island forum to see if there was a list of teleporters and their coordinates to make it easier to collect the TP's. I was on limited time to get the Next Island adventure completed so that I could get back to Arkadia before space travel kicked in, because I wasn't sure if all planets were set up in some way to accommodate this type of travel.

I not only found a list of teleporters and their coordinates created by Lee DeLioncourt, but also a list of what mobs were in what area that was created by SoftHart - so thank you ladies, it came in handy for sure. I managed to get all of the teleporters listed, in addition to one that wasn't (Orpheus), and had a very pleasant time accomplishing this mission, except - there was a surprise or two along the way that had my adrenaline pumping for sure.

What follows gives a bit of a flavor of what my experiences were, and also what stood out for me, but is in no way conclusive. I have been the EU Picture Storyteller since the Summer of 2005, and pictures to me either speak volumes without words, or offer up a canvas with which to take liberty and add to the fun of the experience. There were so many photos that I took that just won't fit into this general report, so I have reserved a couple more posting areas to share what captured my attention the most - same as the reserved area for videos, because there will eventually be more than one.

THINGS THAT STOOD OUT FOR ME

Along my travels as I was collecting teleporters, I had some interesting experiences that I can't help but share. I ran into a Stalker, but one of a winged kind, and not looking too inviting. It's a good thing that I was inside the StarShip9, otherwise this could have been nasty.

7-SnowDrakeStalker.jpg

What I found to be incredibly eye-capturing was the colors of the water no matter where I ventured. Whether I was on a river somewhere, sitting under a waterfall in my boat, roaming a territory on foot, or flying above - the water colors were absolutely breathtaking, as well as many of the terrain textures that made a specific area stand out.

8-GreenWaters.jpg

One of the places that was certainly more than a TP and service center, was Vulcan's Pass. The vulcano area was captivating to say the least, and even before I acquired the TP, I had to fly over it for a better view. It was so inspiring, not only from a writer's perspective, but from the potential this area had in generating future activities that had the means of providing some pretty interesting experiences. Creativity is only limited by your thoughts.

9-Vulcano.jpg

As I hovered over the TP to acquire it, I just had to set the StarShip9 down and explore a bit. I ran over to the huge pointed rock that jutted out over the vulcano and walked to the edge in order to get the full essence of this firey pit, hoping in the back of my mind that I wouldn't push the wrong button and end up flambe'd. What an experience indeed.

10-Vulcano.jpg

12-Vulcano.jpg

My exploring of Vulcan's Pass was done and I headed out for the next TP, or so I thought. I managed to get out a ways from Vulcan's Pass when all of a sudden my computer froze while in mid-air. Perhaps that was because I had too many windows going at once, who knows, but at any rate - yours truly was suspended in air while having to completely shut down the desktop to reboot, and we all know what that means, yes?

When I made it back into EU, I was out in the middle of nowhere, but could see what I was sure was Vulcan's Pass in the distance, so I revved up the mindforce and headed back there in order to collect the StarShip9 that was conveniently shipped off to storage when the pilot came up missing. My only concerned at this point was - would I be able to land far enough away from the vulcano pit itself and not end up with hotpants. Mission accomplished.

13-VulcanoSafetyBubble.jpg

I was relieved that I made solid land, and not squishy moulten lava, so I headed for the service center to pick up the StarShip9 in order to continue with my exploring and collecting of TP's. However, as I got closer to the service center, I started taking hits and basically said - WTF - as there had been no mobs whatsoever in the area when I was there before - not one single red dot.

As such, for some reason I thought it was just a fluke - I know ridiculous thinking, but we do have unusual experiences at times in our universe, although - I can confirm that this definitely wasn't one of them. I had already reached the interior of the service center but was still taking damage, not much at that point, but still taking damage, so I figured I better turn and face the music and get it over with.

What I didn't anticipate, was the kind of fight I had to put up in order to end the malling. However, for what it was that I faced, along with the battle that ensued, you'll have to wait for this video as well. I can tell you that it was one of those adrenaline-pumping moments where I was determined not to be defeated.

AND THE ADVENTURE MOVES ON

I discovered that there was a non-lootable PvP area at the Ancient Ruins location, so decided to head over there to at least get the TP and get back out again, especially since it was noted that the radar wasn't active there. I had no idea what I would run into since I know there are some who enjoy surprise PK'ing activities.

To my delight, there seemed to be no one around, and I was able at my leisure to do a bit of exploring once I set the StarShip9 down and tucked it away. The ruined structure itself had quite a few walls and areas still intact, and enough hidden from view to invite entrance.

21-AncientRuins.jpg

I took several other photos, but I'll reserve those for the photo section later, and just say that I enjoyed navigating my way through the ruined building to the other side to take in what I discovered there as well. However, when I came back through the building to the front side again, where I was prepared to launch the StarShip9 for further exploring, I got a bit of a surprise.

18-PapooAtAncientRuins.jpg

These little creatures crack me up, but I know that Softy puts them up to it. There's no doubt in my mind that she gave them the 411 on my visit to Next Island, and that they should keep an eye out for me. Well, she's going to find out soon enough that her stable of pets is slowly dwindling <insert snicker>.

My next stop was Crystal Bay, and yet another place that I just had to explore. What an incredibly beautiful place this was, especially in the evening, but I could only imagine what it looks like during the light hours, so I'll have to go back for sure. I've added several more pics to the additional photos section.

23-CrystalBay.jpg

Another location that had a bit of a surprise for me was at Warrior Peak, which I found to be an incredible location atop a very high peak indeed, and the view is amazing. I stayed a bit and did some exploring inside the large building, which was not like any of the usual service centers, but rather had an interior much like a museum - what a novel idea. It has two levels, and seating areas that were quite quaint, but the additional photos will be in the photo areas that follow this report.

32-WarriorPeak.jpg

Oh yes, the surprise - well, when I came out from exploring inside the building, I was standing near the edge just admiring the view when all of a sudden, a Storm Drake Old flew up above the edge out of nowhere and attacked. It scared the crap outta me, because I wasn't expecting it. The Papoos and Boars that usually turned up at the TP's weren't so much a bother, so I didn't pay much attention when there might have been a red dot on radar, but this time - I didn't even look at the radar and was just breathing in the site. I eventually collected myself and won the battle before taking off to the next TP.

My next stop was the Enchanted Village, which I found very quaint and very gypsy-like with the wagon style homes, but also with a pleasant environment to explore. I'm sure I'll be able to get a better feel for the area in daylight, but day or night, there was one thing that continued to be consistent - friendly greeters who just had to have a word or two with me.

41-EnchantedVillage.jpg

39-EnchantedVillageMonkey.jpg

After some righteous handling of business, I went on to my next stop, which I thoroughly enjoyed as well. I just couldn't believe the amount of colors presented across most of the environments that I had visited, but Serpentine Village was an eye-catcher for sure. Yet another place that I had to set down and do some exploring. It really took more than a minute or two to drink it all in because it was not unlike a fantasy environment that had a feel of magic to it somehow.

45-SerpentineVillage-TP.jpg

As I mentioned before, I took far too many photos to include in this report - I just couldn't stop clicking - but you can see the rest of them in the following reserved posts when I get them uploaded. I may not have gotten into too much game play, but I have to tell you, that the environment across the planet so far is exquisite, with many areas quite inviting.

Also, this part of my exploration was not without a gift at the end as well, which was a more pleasant surprise than some of the others - so thank you Next Island. This happened at the Pyramid location which you will see in the additional photos - a Boar decided that I was intruding.

55-MS9-Global.jpg

If I had more time, I would have planned a longer stay, but with space flight about to be launched, I'm totally uncertain how or if we'll all be able to get to one planet from another if all planets don't have hangars. I don't fully understand the mechanics of it all and I don't want to take any chances right now, but ...

What I can say, is that I will definitely be back to take more time to interact with the Next Island environment and the creatures of the wild - including the Softy kind. In the meantime, I am preparing for the next leg of the Next Island exploration adventure which will take me to the Club NEVERDIE Playground. After that it will be Ancient Greece, and since I'm running down on time, I think I will complete the next two segments of my exploring before writing up each of the reports, so you may not see Part 3 until late on Monday, or even Tuesday, and then Part 4 on Ancient Greece most likely on Wednesday.

For now - I will load up the other photos to give you more of what my visual experiences were, and work on the videos so that I can get those posted as well.

Am I enjoying myself? - Absolutely!


------------------- Here are the extra pictures from her follow up post ------------------

Some pictures need no introduction, but there are others that I set apart in order to identify locations - Enjoy!


VULCANS PASS

11-RevivalPoint.jpg

16-VulcanoNightSky.jpg

ANCIENT RUINS

19-AncientRuins.jpg

20-AncientRuinsPurpleFlowers.jpg

22-AncientRuins.jpg

CRYSTAL BAY

24-CrystalBay.jpg

25-CrystalBay.jpg

26-CrystalBay.jpg

27-CrystalBay.jpg

28-CrystalBay.jpg

29-CrystalBay.jpg

WARRIOR PEAK

34-WarriorPeakBldg.jpg

35-WarriorPeakBldg.jpg

36-WarriorPeakBldg.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS

15-MS9-Moon.jpg

14-TP-VulcansPass.jpg

17-Moon-Water.jpg

31-Waterfalls.jpg 

SERPENTINE VILLAGE

46-SerpentineVillage.jpg

47-SerpentineVillage.jpg

48-SerpentineVillage.jpg

49-SerpentineVillage-ArrowRock.jpg

50-SerpentineVillage-MS9-ArrowRock.jpg

51-SerpentineVillage-TP.jpg

52-SerpentineVillage.jpg

53-SerpentineVillage.jpg

54-SerpentineVillage-Starship9.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS

37-AjoiteRidgeLandmarker.jpg
Ajoite Ridge Landmarker

44-TimeTravelPortal.jpg
Time Travel Portal

60-Morion-TP.jpg
Morion Teleporter

PYRAMID - POSSIBLE FUTURE TIME TRAVEL PORTAL?

56-Pyramid.jpg

57-Pyramid.jpg

58-Pyramid.jpg

59-Pyramid-MS9.jpg

Here are more photos to show the uniqueness of some of the locations on Next Island - I really like that there's not a copy and paste thing going on, except for how the teleporters look, but then some of those are unique as well - especially their locations.


1-Southwest-Mainland.jpg
Southwest Mainland

2-BustamiteForest-TP.jpg
Bustamite Forest TP

6-SalvationOutpost-TP.jpg
Salvation Outpost

7-SalvationOutpost-TP.jpg

10-AncientRuins-TP.jpg

11-AncientRuins.jpg

12-AncientRuins.jpg
Ancient Ruins

13-CatsEye-TanzaniteView-TP.jpg

14-SpeedOfLight-RutileBeach-TP.jpg

15-NeophyteVillage-TP.jpg

16-WarriorPeak-TP.jpg
Warrior Peak

17-WarriorPeak-TP.jpg
Warrior Peak

18-DeathValley-TP.jpg
(wonder if "Vally" is a typo)

21-KyaniteLookout-TP.jpg

22-KyaniteLake-TP.jpg

23-ShermanOutpost-TP.jpg

These are just some of the TP's that I acquired, but going to each location was definitely an interesting trip, and as you can see, the areas were quite unique.

 ------------------- Spot for her video when she posts it ---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment