Thursday, June 16, 2011

Narfi's Adventures in PVP and Crafting

My PVP Adventure:

I have been mining in PVP a lot lately since you can get good markup resources there. The disadvantage though is that if anyone comes along and kills you, they get all of the resources you are carrying.

For a while, It was pretty quiet and uneventful, but now more people are on the planet and PVP is becoming more what MA intended. A place for the powerful to prey on the weak, a place where the risks and the rewards come into balance.

Here is a little bit of insight provided by Black Hawk on why there are more people now.

I am on Rocktropia. Rocktropia is part of EU. And an important part of economy you can not ignore. If balancing manager makes it that you have to be there, I will be there. What can I do?



I no longer wear my hunting armor while mining. I can no longer run grids on foot. The risks are too great.  Now I have to wear high burn/impact armor and plates, not so that I can fight the predators, but so that I can have that extra split second to store my resources before they kill me.

My skills might be enough that with the right gear and equipment I could fight back against the average pkers (but not the Ubers,) but my connection is so poor that its not even worth trying.  A big part of success in this Universe is recognizing your own weaknesses and using them to your advantage.

So there I was mining along in peace when I hit an XI Pyrite. (190% mu at the time) I spawned my VTOL for a quick getaway, and just as I was getting my driller out a green dot showed up on radar. I lagged into my VTOL as fast as I could and and accelerated up up and away taking 2 or 3 hits before getting away. I flew to a safe location and repaired my craft. It was a close one, there was just a sliver of hp left on it when I escaped.  I got back into it and flew straight up into the air until the tp I was next to disappeared off of radar.  I flew high in the air over to directly above my claim and descended slowly.  As the human prey in PVP elevation is your friend. If you are higher and faster, you can escape.  As I descended onto the claim I saw that there were no green dots near it. I landed right on top of it and started drilling. I had about 3 pulls when the same guy tped right on me! about 20 meters away. I jumped into my vtol and accelerated up and away.  Unfortunately this time he was too close before I started and he destroyed the VTOL. As I plummeted to the ground he shot me once, and then I hit the ground and 'ol Gravity finished me off. Back at revival I checked my inventory, 'haha' he didn't get my resources or my toxic shot.I recalled my wrecked VTOL and repaired it again. I decided while he was camping my claim would be a good time to mine the other areas of PVP, so I did that for the next 45 minutes or so. I even got a global of fire root and drilled it up with no green dots in sight.

When I was done with my run I made sure everything was in storage and ran back towards my initial claim.  I was almost there when I realized I had one double drop worth of probes left. I dropped it and hit an IX pyrite and an IX fire root. Great, now I have 3 claims of value all in one area with a PKer camping them. I set up my VTOL again and started drilling and got about 2-3 pulls when he tp-ed right on top of me again, and killed me even before I could get into the VTOL. (dang my lag :/ )

So I lost about 10-15 ped counting the lost toxic shot and mu on the fire root.
Desperation started to set in. I cant fight back, I cant defend myself. All three claims have about 45 minutes left till they expire.

I PM'd two people for help and advice. One a known PVP hunter on Calypso who advised I just go in with a pitbull and wait for him to get board wasting ammo on it.
This is a strategy I have heard of, but am not sure about. I am sure it must work most of the time, but the one time I drove my pitbull into pvp, I high centered it on a rock, and while I was going forward and back trying to get off, someone ran up and shot me out of the cockpit without doing any dmg to the pitbull itself. Needless to say I am a little leary since my experience with pitbulls in pvp are 100% bad. I should probably give it another chance I guess, just hate to make mistakes.

The second guy I PM'd was a low level PK'er on Rocktropia who had killed me in there before. I told him my situation and asked if he wanted to 'play' with the other guy enough to distract him while I drilled my claims up. He responded that he couldn't kill my stalker and couldn't help me.

I decided I didn't really have many options and got ready to fly in from above my claim again trying to drill and store a few drills at a time.

Just as I took off, the second guy PM'd me again. "Guess who just PM'd me asking if I had an Apis to sell him?" It was my stalker from pvp. Thinking quick I told him I had one I would give him to sell. I met quick and gave him the Apis, telling him to sell for anything at current Calypso MU or above. (I bought it at Calypso MU and they sell on Rocktropia for 2-5% more) "Take your time calculating." I said, then tped to a different area.

Two minutes later he PM'd me again and said, "ok, he is at COD, drill fast!"
I tped onto my claims and used my fast drill to pull up all 3 claims as fast as I could and tped back out.

Not only did I get my claims drilled up, but I made a couple of % mu off of the guy who was trying to kill me. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crafting Adventures.

Rocktropia Clothes are here!
Unfortunately not much love for Narfi this time around.
I was able to click one discovery shirt for someone who discovered the Blueprint. Thanks, and Congrats Shin Hurr!

For the last 3 VUs I have been expecting clothing as the next logical set of blueprints to drop. Each Sunday I have tped to Calypso to sell stuff returning Monday heavily laden with Tailoring supplies to click on Rocktropia as soon as the Servers go back online. Each week I have gotten nothing, so this week I stayed on Rocktropia and it happened just as I expected, just not when I expected.

I had enough supplies between my storage and my soc mate who has been hunting on Rocktropia to do about 100 clicks of Basic Pattern Shirts, and 100 clicks of Basic Pattern Pants. With those clicks I discovered 1 new print which I should have been content with. But I wasn't.

I tped to Calypso and sold all my mining/hunting resources from the previous week and bought all the tailoring supplies I could. Auction on Calypso didn't have enough, so I bought a bunch from Arkadia as well and stoped there on my way to Rocktropia to pick them up. (an extra 40ped tp fee was cheaper than auction transport for all the stuff I bought)

That night I did my biggest crafting run ever. 4k clicks of basic pattern pants. I put everything in and set it on auto and went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning I logged in to discover that I had looted ZERO rocktropia specific blueprints. :O

Pro-tip: 89% returns vs. TT suck when your paying MU for the resources and TTing the product.

I hope to still be the first person to click the 1 print I did loot that morning, but still need to collect supplies. I got enough for 1 click yesterday, but it was not a success.

Pro-tip #2: ZK7 is not really adequate for hunting Lemmy dragons, esp when you are used to using an Apis. (you will get way too much armor decay)

No comments:

Post a Comment